The cold weather here in Montreal has me in a baking mood. When it hits -21C, frankly the outdoors are no place to be and a hot oven adds that extra warmth.
So today I decided to make some little lemons loaves that are perfect for snacking on, breakfast, or dessert! I have made them before and love the fact that they are made with sour cream. The last few desserts I have made have called for sour cream and I have decided that it is one of my favourite ingredients to use while baking. Greek yogurt is also just as yummy. They add that little extra to your baking!
This recipe is from http://www.tastykitchen.com.
- FOR THE CAKES:
- ½ cups Butter, Softened
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 whole Large Lemon, Zested (about 5 Teaspoons Zest)
- ½ cups Sour Cream
- 1-½ cup All Purpose Flour, Sifted
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- ¼ cups Fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ cups Granulated Sugar
– Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray mini pans with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
– In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and sour cream. Scrape the sides and mix again. With the mixer on low speed, incorporate all dry ingredients until just combined, then stir in the milk. Scrape the sides and mix a few more times by hand. Spoon batter equally into prepared pans. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and are baked thoroughly. Use the toothpick method to see if they are done. Mine were done at 18 minutes.
– While lemon loaves are baking, mix ingredients together for the glaze and microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds or so to dissolve the sugar into the lemon juice. The glaze is done once the sugar has dissolved.
– Once loaves come out of the oven, cool at least 15 minutes before removing from the pans. Spoon glaze over the loaves and continue to cool completely. Store in airtight containers until ready to serve.